Elisabeth (Lis) Ellis is MinterEllison's full time resident partner in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia. One of our firm's senior corporate specialists, she has 19 years' corporate, commercial and infrastructure experience. Almost all of those year have been spent in Asia - 12 years in MinterEllison's Hong Kong office and before that 4 years with another international firm in Thailand and then Hong Kong.
Her expertise ranges across a number of industry sectors and legal areas, including M&A, private equity, infrastructure and project development, but she is perhaps best recognised as one of Asia's pre-eminent energy and natural resources lawyers. She has handled mining projects in Australia, Indonesia and now Mongolia, power and water projects throughout Asia, and significant LNG and gas projects in China.
Since 2010, Lis has worked with major energy and resources players, including international mining companies, energy traders and ASX-listed junior exploration companies, on their inbound investments into Mongolia, assisting them to acquire and restructure exploration and mining licences. She is also advising international and Mongolian mining companies on a full range of operational matters relating to their mining operations and on emerging Mongolian coal bed methane and coal to liquid projects.
Lis has assisted a significant number of mining service companies to establish their businesses in Mongolia and continues to advise on their ongoing business operations. Her clients include Peabody Energy, Noble Energy, Rio (Oyu Tolgoi and South Gobi Sands), Xanadu Mines, Credit Suisse and Macquarie Capital.
Before relocating to Mongolia, Lis worked on a number of Asia's headline infrastructure and major projects, including the Guangdong LNG project, gas off-take from the West East Pipeline, PetroChina's LNG terminals in China, Thailand's Chachoengsao and Bangpakong Water Projects, the restructuring and sale of Meiya Power, Macau's Cotai Strip development, Victoria's East-Link Toll Road and Hong Kong's International Exhibition Centre and Sky City Hotel.
- Business Council of Mongolia - Legislative Committee member
- Law Society of New South Wales
- Hong Kong Law Society
- MinterEllison Alert | Foreign investment reforms - status update, 29 October 2015
- Driving foreign investment in energy and resources M&A, 24 July 2014
- Minter Ellison Alert | ADM acquisition of GrainCorp blocked by Treasurer, 29 November 2013
- Oil & Gas in Australia and New Zealand, 20 November 2013
- Energy & Resources Update: August 2013, 06 August 2013
- Trade Law Focus, 13 December 2012
- Minter Ellison Alert | Agribusiness - Australia in the Asian Century, 02 November 2012
- Trade Law Focus, August 2012
- AIM admission: What you need to know, 23 July 2012
- Minter Ellison Alert | Update on Foreign Exchange Rules for Chinese Private Outbound Investment, 05 July 2012
- Australian Tax Brief, March 2012
- Alert - China introduces nationwide resource tax and adjusts tax rate, 14 October 2011
- Alert - MOFCOM Security Review and Interim Provisions, 15 September 2011
- Alert - MOFCOM clarifies national security review procedures, 23 March 2011
- Alert - China introduces new 'national security' foreign investment review, 16 February 2011
© MinterEllison, 2017