Scott serves as Ulmer & Berne’s managing partner. His leadership emphasizes: (1) exceptional client service; (2) maximizing value for clients with project management and flexible fee arrangements; (3) maintaining a collegial, supportive work environment free from internal competition to maximize the benefits of a team approach; (4) pushing management down to the practice group level where those on the front line can quickly and effectively manage practices; (5) promoting diversity and inclusion throughout the firm to create a better work environment and improve our ability to serve clients; and (6) implementing a growth strategy to add talented attorneys and staff who compliment Ulmer’s strong culture.
Scott’s practice focuses on the representation of landlords and tenants in the development and lease-up of shopping centers on a national basis. He also counsels clients on a wide variety of real estate and business transactions, and general business law. Scott routinely appears on the Ohio Super Lawyers list and has achieved the highest ranking, AV Preeminent®, from Martindale-Hubbell®. He is recognized by the American College of Real Estate Lawyers (ACREL), and by Chambers USA, which named him among Ohio’s “Leaders in Their Field” for real estate.
- State of Ohio
EducationBoston University (B.S., Business Administration, cum laude, 1982) American University, Washington College of Law (J.D., 1985)
- Represents an integrated developer with leasing for its large scale mixed use retail and lifestyle centers, including some of the most famous retailers in the world.
- Represents national retail tenants in lease-up of new locations.
- Represents national landlords in development and lease-up of shopping centers.
- Represents landlords and tenants in leasing of downtown office buildings and suburban office complexes.
- Involved in numerous other real estate transactions representing developers, borrowers, lenders, sellers, buyers, landlords, tenants, investors, brokers and managers of shopping centers, retail, office, industrial and residential properties.
- Serves as general counsel to a wide variety of businesses, handling general business, contracts and transactions.
Seminars"Landing on Your Feet," Cincinnati Bar Association (2009)
"Advanced Issues in Representing Developers of Lifestyle Centers," ICSC Law Conference (2007)
"Overcoming Lifestyle Center, Mall and Strip Center Leasing Hurdles" and "A Different Animal: Negotiating Food Court Leases," American Conference Institute (2007)
"Negotiating Restaurant Leases," ICSC 2007 Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana and Michigan Retail Development & Law Symposium (2007)
"Significant Issues Specific to Commercial Leases," Sterling Education Services (2007)
- “Retail Leasing: Drafting and Negotiating Key Provisions in a Retail Lease,” Practical Law Company (June 2014)
- “Automation Technology Leads to Cross-Data Sharing, Enhanced Productivity, Profitability,” Cincinnati Bar Association’s CBA Report (August 2011)
- “Real Estate Leasing Trends,” The National Restaurant Association Financial Officers & Tax Executives Executive Study Group Conference, Las Vegas (June 2017)
- “The Perfect Storm: Everything You Wanted (Need) to Know About Termination Rights for Casualty and Condemnation,” 2016 U.S. Shopping Center Law Conference (October 2016)
- “Best Practices in Commercial Leasing,” Nationwide CLE Series (November 2015)
- “Don’t Be a Hater: Embrace (And Artfully Negotiate) Casualty and Condemnation Boilerplate Provisions,” International Council of Shopping Centers’ U.S. Shopping Center Law Conference (October 2015)
- “Real Estate Leasing Trends,” National Restaurant Association, Financial Officers and Tax Executives’ Executive Study Group Meeting (June 2015)
- “Letters of Intent: Worthwhile, Worthless or Dangerous?,” International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC) Law Conference (October 2014)
- “Landing on Your Feet,” Cincinnati Bar Association (2009)
- “Advanced Issues in Representing Developers of Lifestyle Centers,” ICSC Law Conference (2007)
- “Overcoming Lifestyle Center, Mall and Strip Center Leasing Hurdles” and “A Different Animal: Negotiating Food Court Leases,” American Conference Institute (2007)
- “Negotiating Restaurant Leases,” ICSC 2007 Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana and Michigan Retail Development & Law Symposium (2007)
- “Significant Issues Specific to Commercial Leases,” Sterling Education Services (2007)
- Speaker, National Business Institute:
- “The use Clause, Rent, and Common Area Maintenance (CAM) and Other Expenses” (September 2015)
- “How to Finance the Small Business” (2006)
- “Fundamentals of Entity Selection” (2005)
- “A Closer Look at Stock Purchase Agreements” (2002)
- “A Closer Look at Asset Purchase Agreements” (2002)
- “Types of Acquisition Agreements” (2002)
- “Factors Impacting Choice of Entity” (2002)
- “General Partnerships and Joint Ventures” (2002)
- “Ethical Guidelines” (2002)
- “Advantageous Use of Limited Liability Companies” (1997, 2002)
- “An Introduction to Limited Liability Companies and Limited Liability Partnerships” (1997, 2001)
- “Advantageous Use of Limited Liability Companies and Limited Liability Partnerships” (1997, 2001)
- “Limited Partnerships” (1999)
- “How to Finance the Small Business” (1998)
© Ulmer & Berne LLP, 2017