- Blog: Privacy and Information Security Law BlogBelgian DPA Launches Public Consultation on Direct MarketingPosted on June 14, 2019 by Hunton Andrews Kurth LLPOn June 12, 2019, the Belgian Data Protection Authority launched a public consultation on direct marketing with a view to updating its existing Direct Marketing Recommendation. This blog entry provides an overview of the consultation. Continue Reading
- Blog: Haynes and Boone BlogsPatent Eligibility of GUI-Related Claims in Light of the Federal Circuit’s Recent Decision in Trading Techs. Int’l. v. IBG LLCPosted on June 10, 2019 by Vera SuarezIn Trading Techs. Int’l. v. IBG LLC, the Federal Circuit affirmed the Patent Trial and Appeal Board’s decision that the claims in a GUI-related patent, U.S. Patent No. 7,783,556 to Singer et al. (“the ’556 Patent”), were ineligible under 35 U.S.C. § 101.[i] Generally, the ’556 Patent relates to displaying a trading screen on a […] The post Patent Eligibility of GUI-Related Claims in Light of the Federal Circuit’s Recent Decision in Trading Techs. Int’l. v. IBG LLC appeared first on Haynes and Boone Blogs.
- Blog: Ireland IP & Technology Law BlogAdvocate General delivers significant Opinion on scope of host providers’ obligation to remove illegal contentPosted on June 10, 2019 by Davinia BrennanIn the case of Eva Glawischnig-Piesczek v Facebook Ireland Ltd (Case C-18/18), the Advocate General (AG) of the Court of Justice (CJEU) was asked to clarify the scope of the obligation that may be imposed on a host provider to remove illegal information. Article 15(1) of the e-Commerce Directive 2000/31/EC (the Directive) prohibits Member States from...Continue Reading…
- Blog: MMM Tech Law & Business ReportIs Your Business Ready for the Most Stringent Privacy Law in the U.S.?Posted on May 30, 2019 by MMMTechLawThe California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”) creates new compliance obligations and operational challenges for companies doing business in California, effective January 1, 2020. Given the broad reach of the law, the CCPA may have significant impact on entities that collect and process personal data. The CCPA grants California residents new rights regarding their […]
- Blog: Antitrust UpdateEvolving Antitrust Principles in the Age of Big Tech: Supreme Court Allows Antitrust Suit to Move Forward Against ApplePosted on May 19, 2019 by Meghan Larywon, Robert P. LoBueIn a recent decision decided on May 13, 2019, the Supreme Court allowed an antitrust suit to move forward against Apple. Consumers brought suit based on Apple’s operation of its App Store – which serves as the exclusive electronic marketplace through which iPhone owners may purchase iPhone applications (“apps”). Independent app developers create these apps, [...]
- Blog: Offshore Crypto TodayLaw firms collaborate on blockchain pilot programPosted on May 15, 2019 by Kerry AndersonAs the blockchain concept continues to push its way into the mainstream, professionals across various industries continue to grapple with the fundamental questions: “How will blockchain disrupt my business? How can blockchain technology be adopted into my business?: Six Canadian law firms have sought to answer these questions by collaborating on a blockchain pilot program […] The post Law firms collaborate on blockchain pilot program appeared first on Offshore Crypto Today.