- Blog: Privacy and Information Security Law BlogICO Notifies More Than 900 Organizations of Failure to Pay Required Data Protection FeePosted on December 14, 2018 by Hunton Andrews Kurth LLPIn the UK, the Information Commissioner's Office introduced a requirement for organizations to pay a "data protection fee," which data controllers falling under the ICO's scope must pay once a year. We highlight details of the fee in this blog entry. Continue Reading
- Blog: Haynes and Boone BlogsCollateral Estoppel is Allowed to Apply to Rule 36 Affirmances of the PTABPosted on December 13, 2018 by Adam FowlesThe Federal Circuit has affirmed that a Rule 36 judgment may serve as a basis for collateral estoppel in Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) proceedings, in addition to district court proceedings. In VirnetX Inc. v. Apple, Inc., Nos. 2017-2490, 2017-2494 (Fed. Cir. Dec. 10, 2018), the Federal Circuit affirmed the PTAB’s determination in two […] The post Collateral Estoppel is Allowed to Apply to Rule 36 Affirmances of the PTAB appeared first on Haynes and Boone Blogs.
- Blog: Ireland IP & Technology Law BlogDPC issues Guidance for Drivers on the use of Dash CamsPosted on December 13, 2018 by Davinia BrennanThe DPC has published guidance for drivers concerning their data protection responsibilities when using dash cams. Images and audio recordings captured by dash cams constitute ‘personal data‘ insofar as they relate to an identifiable individual and are therefore subject to the GDPR and Data Protection Act 2018. Actions to take In order to comply with the...Continue Reading…
- Blog: The FirewallIllinois’ BIPA’s Rollercoaster Ride to the Illinois Supreme CourtPosted on December 11, 2018 by Erin S. Johnson and Ashley S.A. JacksonOver the last several years, the emphasis on privacy and data protection has grown significantly. With the amount of data collected by companies and technology skyrocketing, the need to protect personal information has been at the forefront of states’ legislative agendas. While all 50 states now have breach notification statutes, states are now taking a... Continue Reading
- Blog: MMM Tech Law & Business ReportSE Tech Podcast Ep. 62 – CapWay with Sheena AllenPosted on December 6, 2018 by MMMTechLawWe speak with Sheena Allen of CapWay, a mobile-first platform that provides financial education and services, including banking the unbanked and $mart resources and recommendations, with a mission of creating financial health and an opportunity with money for those that have not been given the same access and opportunity beforehand. CapWay is headquartered in Austin, […]
- Blog: Antitrust UpdateDistrict Judge Criticizes Pace of Aetna – CVS MergerPosted on December 4, 2018 by Robert P. LoBue, Amy N. Vegari, Ph.D.After two hearings over the last week, Judge Richard J. Leon of the District Court for the District of Columbia seems to have put the brakes on the well-publicized merger between health care giants CVS and Aetna. The merger obtained conditional approval from the DOJ’s Antitrust Division on October 10, 2018, and the parties seemed [...]