- Blog: Privacy and Information Security Law BlogFTC Issues Final Order in Cambridge Analytica CasePosted on December 9, 2019 by Hunton Andrews Kurth LLPThe Federal Trade Commission announced its Final Order and Opinion in the matter of Cambridge Analytica, LLC, finding that Cambridge Analytica violated the FTC Act's Section 5 prohibition against "unfair or deceptive acts or practices" when harvesting personal information. Continue Reading
- Blog: The FirewallTechnology Defendants Continue to Test Whether the Illinois BIPA Law Can Cope with Modern Facial Recognition TechnologyPosted on December 6, 2019 by Matthew T. HaysPassed in 2008, the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act (BIPA) regulates collection of biometric markers such as fingerprints or facial metrics. Since its passage, the Illinois BIPA has been used to restrict technology giants and their use of users’ personal information, particularly photographs. To understand the scale of this, Facebook reported in a 2013 whitepaper... Continue Reading
- Blog: Ireland IP & Technology Law BlogEDPB publishes finalised Guidelines on Territorial Scope of the GDPRPosted on December 6, 2019 by Davinia BrennanOn 12 November 2019, the EDPB published its finalised Guidelines on Territorial Scope of the GDPR (3/2018). The Guidelines aim to assist companies and supervisory authorities in determining whether a particular processing activity falls within the territorial scope of the GDPR. The key changes to the draft Guidelines include clarification that: whilst some of a...Continue Reading…
- Blog: MMM Tech Law & Business ReportSE Tech Podcast Ep. 73 – Usit with Ifrah KhanPosted on October 22, 2019 by MMMTechLawWe speak with Ifrah Khan, Founder of Usit, a mobile application created to provide an on-demand babysitting service that connects households to college students in the area at the tap of a button, helping households find the perfect babysitter within minutes.
- Blog: Blog GarriguesContent from Blog Garrigues now on the corporate websitePosted on February 1, 2019 by GarriguesBlog Garrigues was created in 2013 with a view to sharing the knowledge of the firm’s professionals in a new and dynamic way. Nearly six years later and following the conversion of the corporate...