Charles’ practice focuses on international and U.K. mergers and acquisitions and equity and debt capital markets.
Charles’ experience includes representation of international financial institutions and U.K. and international public and private companies in transactions in the U.K., Europe, Central Asia, Africa, the United States and South America. His practice spans corporate, commercial and capital markets transactions in the financial services, energy, defence, retail and leisure, property, telecommunications, construction, petroleum and engineering sectors.
Prior to joining the firm in 2001 he was a partner at LeBoeuf Lamb Greene & MacRae from 1997 to 2001, and Theodore Goddard from 1990 to 1997.
- Advised a major international oil company on the sale of a refinery and other downstream assets in Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay.
- Advised on the sale of a leading provider of outsourced video games services with operations in the U.K., Canada and India to a U.K. public company.
- Advised one of the world’s largest producers of polymers and fibres on the acquisition of certain assets related to specialty polyester products from a leading European polyester fibre producer.
- Advised on the equity and debt documentation in relation to a fiber optic cable system connecting South Africa, Mozambique, Madagascar, Kenya, Tanzania, India and Marseilles, France. The project involved eight jurisdictions stretching from South Africa to India.
- Advised an AIM listed oil exploration and development company on its restructuring and capital raising.
- Represented a major U.K. power producer and distribution company on the acquisition of power assets in Kazakhstan.
- Advised a leading international consumer goods company on the establishment of its EMTN Programme and the issue of €2bn of Notes.
- Advised two major U.S. corporations on the establishment of Euro-Commercial Paper programmes.
- Advised a U.S. company on the sale of its interest in a power plant in Pakistan.
- Represented international financial institutions on numerous debt and equity transactions in the Russian Federation, Central Asia and throughout Central and Eastern Europe including Poland, Czech Republic, Bulgaria, Romania, Kazakhstan, Georgia and Kyrgyzstan.
- Advised a private equity fund on the acquisition of a group of companies providing high quality custom manufactured stainless steel equipment for the dairy, pharmaceutical and ethanol industries. Subsequently advised on its recapitalisation.
- Advised an investor on a US$100m investment in a new hedge fund investing in Africa and the Middle East.
- Advised a leading U.S. finance and leasing company in relation to its disposal of various U.K. and Jersey investment companies holding a portfolio of hotels in the U.K., for a consideration of over US$69m.
- Advised a U.S. global chemicals group on its acquisition of a U.K. business.
- Represented the lead manager in connection with the issue of global depositary receipts by a major Czech bank and its listing on the London Stock Exchange. This was the first Czech security to be listed on the London Stock Exchange and the first sponsored depositary receipt programme by a Central European Bank.
- Represented a major Japanese oil company on the acquisition of 40 exploration and development blocks in the North Sea from a leading U.K. oil producer.
- Represented a U.S. power producer and distributor on its bid approach by a U.K. company.
- Represented a Belgian company on the restructuring of its companies in the U.K..
- Represented a French mobile telephone game manufacturing company in relation to various software license and maintenance agreements, merchandise licensing and portal agreements.
- Represented U.K. investment banks as underwriters on numerous floatations, placings and rights issues for U.K. public companies.
- Represented the vendor shareholders of a private U.K. manufacturing company on a sale to a U.S. company.
- Represented both U.K. public companies and financial advisers on recommended and hostile takeovers of U.K. public companies.
- Represented a U.K. public company operating in the chemical industries sector on a number of U.K. acquisitions.
- Represented the lead manager in connection with the first global depositary receipt programme in Ecuador.
- Advised a Polish food processing group in relation to the restructuring of a US$100m syndicated facility.
- Advised the Volta River Authority (Ghana) on the corporate aspects of the project financing of the 660mw Takoradi Power Plant.
- Advised a U.K. company on its acquisition of companies in Zambia, Zimbabwe and Malawi.
- Advised a U.S. company with worldwide interests in energy projects in relation to the £1.6 billion disposal of its interests in a U.K. power plant joint venture.
- Advised a U.S. company on its acquisition via a newly incorporated English subsidiary of a U.K. business engaged in the manufacture and distribution of products used in machinery for the tobacco industry.
- Represented a major commercial bank in Poland in connection with its takeover of another bank, creating one of the largest banking groups in Poland. The transaction involved an international exchange-offering and listing of global depositary receipts (GDRs) on the Official List of the UK Listing Authority and trading of the GDRs on the London Stock Exchange. This was one of the first GDR listings under the UK Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 regime following the division of listing and marketing activities between the Financial Services Authority and the London Stock Exchange.
- Represented an international bank on the first unsponsored global depositary receipt issue in the Czech Republic for a major electricity producer.
- Represented the sponsor and issuer on an international placing of common stock for a company operating in sub-Saharan Africa. The stock was listed on the Luxembourg Stock Exchange and was sold in the United States pursuant to Rule 144A and off shore pursuant to Regulation S.
- Represented the placing agent on a private placement of stock for a leading Peruvian bottling company.
- Represented a leading jewellery retailer on its U.S. and U.K. acquisitions.
- Represented a French company on its acquisition of the smart card division of a U.K. public company.
- Represented a major international bank (acting as lead bank) on one of the largest corporate rescues (£1.5 billion) in the U.K. to date.
- Represented a U.S. listed company on the acquisition of a U.K. company under the UK Takeover Code.
- Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales
LLB (Hons), Exeter University, 1981