Kevin co-chairs the firm’s labor and employment team and has a national practice that focuses on complex employment litigation and employment advice and counseling.
In particular, Kevin has extensive experience representing clients in the retail and energy industries in discrimination class action litigation, governmental agency systemic discrimination investigations, and wage and hour litigation. Other significant aspects of his practice include conducting internal investigations, advising clients regarding executive contract issues, developing criminal background check programs, monitoring client personnel actions for evidence of disparate impact discrimination, assisting clients with Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) practices, and advising on labor relations strategies.
In addition, Kevin routinely advises nationwide employers on compliance with state and federal laws impacting the workplace. He is actively involved in preparing employer-employee policies and guiding some of the largest retail and energy companies through complex employment legal needs. Recently, Kevin has spent considerable time advising clients on issues related to coronavirus (COVID-19), including wage and hour, workplace safety, leave, and reduction in force laws and executive orders.
As the labor and employment field continually evolves, Kevin’s practice also includes evaluating and guiding employers regarding the use and influence of artificial intelligence and technology in the workplace. He advises employers during the hiring and onboarding process while identifying potential discrimination concerns impacted by the use of new technology and automated screening.
Kevin serves on the Steering Committee of the firm’s Retail and Consumer Products Industry practice and as a member of its ESG practice.
During law school, Kevin was a law clerk for the Texas Third Court of Appeals, and following law school, he was a law clerk for the Hon. Harry Lee Hudspeth, Chief Judge, US District Court for the Western District of Texas. Kevin is admitted to practice before the US District Courts for the Southern, Western, and Eastern Districts of Texas, and the US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
- Represented large nationwide retailer in developing wage and hour and leave policies during national health pandemic.
- Defended retailer against numerous claims of sexual harassment by executives.
- Represented numerous employers in nationwide class actions alleging FCRA violations arising from use of criminal background checks.
- Defended national retailer against claim that it did not comply with pay frequency requirements under New York law.
- Defended international oil field services company against ERISA claims by an executive that he was entitled to benefits under a change in control plan.
- Defended national retailer against claim that hiring assessment violates the ADA.
- Defended oilfield services company in numerous FLSA collective actions.
- Defended national retailer in several lawsuits by consumers claiming racial profiling.
- Defended national retailer in EEOC nationwide systemic discrimination investigation of maximum leave policy under the ADA.
- Defended international natural gas production company in multi-plaintiff case alleging ERISA violations.
- Advised national retailer on anti-racial profiling policies and procedures.
- Represented staffing agency in bringing claims against competitors and former employees for breach of noncompetition agreements and unfair competition.
- Represented oilfield services and supply company in bringing claims against competitors and former employees for employee raiding and unfair competition.
- Defended international waste services provider against claims by former executive under a key employee severance plan.
- Defended national retailer in FLSA collective action alleging “off-the-clock” work.
- Defended national retailer in class action alleging ERISA violations arising from the purported denial of medical benefits.
- Defended national retailer in multiple FLSA collective action alleging employees were misclassified as exempt from overtime pay.
- Defended regional financial services company in FLSA collective action alleging loan officers were misclassified as exempt from overtime pay.
- Defended national restaurant chain in FLSA collective action alleging unlawful tip pooling.
- Defended national retailer in multiple EEOC nationwide systemic discrimination investigation of use of criminal background checks under Title VII.
- Defended national retailer in EEOC systemic discrimination investigations of gender pay and promotion practices under Title VII and the Equal Pay Act.
- Defended international media and entertainment company against former executive’s claims of Sarbanes Oxley Act violations.
- Defended international hotel chain against charges of unfair labor practices.
- Defended national and regional employers in numerous single-plaintiff cases alleging violations of state and federal antidiscrimination and wage and hour statutes.
- Conducted internal investigation of allegations that senior executive received kickbacks in exchange for awarding work to vendors.
- Conducted internal investigation of allegations that offshore drilling company violated OSHA reporting requirements to win drilling contracts.
- Conducted internal investigation of allegations that national waste services provider violated immigration laws.
- Conducted internal investigation of allegations that executive of international oilfield services company violated health and safety policies.
- Conducted numerous internal investigations of alleged harassment and discrimination by company executives.
- Conducted investigation of nationwide retailer’s alleged failure to follow internal compliance procedures and protocols.
- District of Columbia
BA, Austin College, summa cum laude, 1996