It is only fitting that with increased cross border activity and major changes impacting networks and global law firms alike, this year’s WSG Annual Meeting be held in New York City. With over 140 firm leaders representing over 70 worldwide jurisdictions, our host, Lowenstein Sandler LLP, has pulled out all the stops in developing the program and demonstrating their global reach. The agenda includes accomplished presenters from corporate giants including Google Ventures, Deloitte and Estee Lauder, as well as expert panelists covering relevant topics such as technology, cyber security, and regulatory changes. There will be ample opportunities to drive robust discussion and highlight market trends and issues.
This program represents the true depth and breadth that a network like WSG has in the global world.
Fundamental changes in the regulation of legal services are gaining momentum across the globe. From alternative legal structures to measures to open the legal market to outside capital investments, keeping up with these changes in itself is one of the most important issues firms are facing. The independent firm is always going to be important to the industry, and a firm with recognized history, contacts and stability in the market will always have an advantage in navigating market changes. By actively participating with WSG the independent firm gains size, strength, access and stability and secures its place among reputable go-to firms. It’s about leveraging the network to better understand and adapt to changing landscapes.
Programs like the WSG 2015 Annual Meeting – and numerous other meetings and initiatives that the network offers – demonstrate the unique opportunities and value that WSG provides to its members: bringing together leaders and experts from across industries and the world to address trends and issues impacting businesses, and then determining how to utilize the strengths of the network along with innovation and technology to differentiate ourselves and stay ahead of the competition. In a rapidly changing industry, firms must be able to meet changing client needs and find new and innovative ways to provide value and differentiate themselves. While these may be viewed as challenges for some firms, for members of a network like WSG, they can be viewed as opportunities. I applaud the efforts that host firm Lowenstein Sandler has put forth in creating an exceptional program and look forward to record participation.
So you have joined a WSG Practice Group. Now what? While joining a WSG group is the first step, unless you regularly engage and participate, you’ll never receive value from your membership. The same goes for any other WSG, practice or industry groups you join.
Consider these 5 tips to optimize your membership and reap the benefits today!
- Start or participate in forum discussions and messages – Beginning or participating in forum discussions are great ways to engage in conversations about a specific topic or current issue. All WSG Practice Group members can easily access forum discussions without having to travel, contribute in a meaningful manner, and follow the discussion in real time as it develops. Similarly, sending a message through the messaging tool can instantly connect you to individuals who share the same interests. Messages can be sent to the entire practice group or you can narrow your conversation and select as few group members as you wish.
- Write and post to a WSG Practice Group Blog – For the “adventurous” type that enjoys an interactive and visible dialog with other members, writing a practice group blog is a great way to highlight and promote specialized knowledge and experience in order to create thought-leadership and global recognition. These posts are automatically distributed to WSG members of the group to further engagement, and posted on the collective Practice Group blog. More importantly, a blog can be read by existing and prospective clients and partners, allowing them to develop an intimate level of trust in you.
- Upload an interesting article or piece of news and comment on it – For the less adventurous users (think more: “invisible user”) that actively consume information but are less likely to develop original content, uploading an article is a great way to draw attention and drive conversation around practice areas and interests most important to you and your firm. Include a paragraph or two about why you think the information is relevant or add a comment about “how I see it”.
- Spearhead a meeting or networking event with WSG for the group – A group can decide to meet and discuss best practice strategies, current trends or important news in a given practice industry. Means of meeting include a cocktail reception in conjunction with a larger event, an annual hosted practice group meeting, or even a small breakfast on the day of a happening. Meeting members face-to-face is a great way to create momentum within a group and forge strong network relationships and referral opportunities.
- Contact WSG! Not that we’re your mother, but we want to hear from you on a regular basis, even if it’s a quick note letting us know what is going on. We welcome details about collaborations forged together through the network’s practice group participation to further demonstrate how professionals are making a difference in today’s business world by being part of a smart and premier network.
We look forward to working with you to further the valuable resources WSG has to offer, enhancing your network of professionals in your practice industries today! If you have any questions or suggestions, please contact the Practice Group Administrator, Gaby Saldaña at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WSG works diligently to continually deliver upgraded advancements and resources to members, and as a result, WSG recently launched a new and improved ‘My WSG’ page. With this recent reveal, WSG mobilizes member professionals to “power up your WSG membership”.
Being 21,000 professionals strong, this upgraded ‘My WSG’ page expertly positions member professionals to engage, connect and collaborate with professionals across the network and the world. A benefit of the WSG network is having these unique member profiles, allowing members and clients alike to identify strong professionals in the industry. It has never been easier for you to enhance your professional identity online and build relationships with members and groups. Upon logging into the WSG website, you will find invaluable resources, various groups and relevant news on one single ‘My WSG’ page. We encourage you to take a look, refresh, and reconnect with your profile to power up your WSG membership.
How can you best power up your existing My WSG profile? This involves updating or adding your practice categories, joining a practice group to further network across your expertise, or starting a private group to enhance communications with particular professionals. Additionally with the updated ‘My WSG’ page, members are able to discover and share news and insights on topics that are the most important to you and your firm. Easily access and publish your collaborations, news, articles, blogs and upcoming events in one place.
Through WSG’s launch of the new and improved ‘My WSG’ page, it has never been easier for professionals to gain the most of their membership and maximize on WSG’s premium network.