Medical Marijuana Rollout in Ohio
The Ohio medical marijuana market saw a robust start to sales on January 16, 2019. First-day sales totaled more than $75,000, per the state’s Medical Marijuana Control Program, and total sales exceeded $330,000 in the first several weeks. This initial sales boom is magnified by the fact that only five of the 50-plus state-approved provisional dispensaries are operational (and only four on the initial date of sales).
Patients wishing to participate in Ohio’s medical marijuana program must establish and maintain a bona fide physician-patient relationship with a certified physician, who can only recommend (not prescribe) up to a 90-day supply of medical marijuana with three refills (totaling up to a 360-day supply). Further, these recommendations are limited to patients with the following medical conditions:
The product may be ingested in a vaporized format, eaten, or taken as a liquid extract – it is not to be smoked.
The cost to participate in the program for a patient is a $50 annual registration fee outside of the cost of purchasing the product, which raises an interesting issue. Currently, dispensaries are charging $380 per ounce of medical marijuana, which far exceeds the value in the unregulated market. Thus, it is foreseeable that some individuals will register as medical marijuana card-carriers, purchase the product outside of the program, and still indicate they used the product legally once tested. Current drug-testing technology cannot differentiate how the drug is ingested, which could allow for illegal use of the drug under the guise of program compliance. Enforcement of program controls should be the next step in medical marijuana management to prevent misuse or exploitation.
Link to article
- Proposed Bill Would Increase Skilled Nursing and Intermediate Care Facility Citations and Penalties
- New Pharmacist's Guidelines for Advertisement in Brazil
- California Assisted Living Regulation Catches Up with Statute Regarding Evictions for Change of Use of Facility
- Pathways to Success ACO Model
- Dinsmore Among Top State, National Counsel in 2018 Bond Buyer Rankings
- Four Dinsmore Attorneys Named Top in Trademark Law
- High-Profile Litigators Join Dinsmore
WSG Member: Please login to add your comment.