Panama: Short Stay Visa as a Remote Worker
The Government of the Republic of Panama, in response to the new modalities of work worldwide, among these, remote working, considered it appropriate to create this subcategory within the Non-Resident Visas.
Executive Decree No. 198 of May 7th, 2021 (hereinafter, the “Decree”), published in the electronic Official Gazette on May 20th, 2021, creates the Short Stay Visa as a Remote Worker.
Panama, May 21, 2021. This visa will be granted to those foreigners who intend to work remotely within the Republic of Panama for a period of nine (9) months, renewable once for the same period.
The foreigner who applies for this Visa must meet, in addition to other applicable specific requirements, with the following prerequisites:
To (i) have a work contract with a foreign transnational company, or be a (ii) self-employed worker, in the remote working model.
- Perform duties that have effects abroad.
- Receive income from a foreign source and with an annual amount not less than USD 36,000.00 or equivalent in foreign currency.
- Have a valid medical insurance policy, with coverage in Panama.
For its renewal, the foreigner must meet the same requirements submitted with the first application.
- Once the short stay visa is approved, it will not be necessary to carry out additional procedures or obtain authorizations from another governmental entity.
- If the foreigner were to represent the foreign company for local activities in Panama, the Short Stay Visa will be canceled.
- This Executive Decree became effective as of May 20th, 2021.
For more information, please contact us at [email protected].
Morgan & Morgan represents individuals and multinational companies doing business in Panama, who need to relocate their foreign executive staff and their families. Our team located in Panama City and in Penonome (capital of the Panamanian province of Cocle), has extensive experience in all aspects of Immigration Law and labor immigration law, including: Visas and Residence Permits, Work Permits,Citizenships, Passports, Travel authorizations for minors,Multiple Exit and Entry Permits, Non-Resident Multiple Visas, Certifications of no restriction to travel,Counselling on immigration and labor of corporate restructuring, and compliance.
Link to article