Corporate & Business Blog
- Blog: Haynes and Boone BlogsCollateral Estoppel is Allowed to Apply to Rule 36 Affirmances of the PTABPosted on December 13, 2018 by Adam FowlesThe Federal Circuit has affirmed that a Rule 36 judgment may serve as a basis for collateral estoppel in Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) proceedings, in addition to district court proceedings. In VirnetX Inc. v. Apple, Inc., Nos. 2017-2490, 2017-2494 (Fed. Cir. Dec. 10, 2018), the Federal Circuit affirmed the PTAB’s determination in two […] The post Collateral Estoppel is Allowed to Apply to Rule 36 Affirmances of the PTAB appeared first on Haynes and Boone Blogs.
- Blog: You Might Be a WinnerThe Year in LawsuitsPosted on December 13, 2018 by Robert Laplaca2018 brought us the type of lawsuits you would expect in the world of sweepstakes, contests and giveaways. From “The Annoyance Lawyer” to Bobbleheads to “You’re Probably Never Going to Be A Winner.” The most depressing thing is the lawsuits themselves, often filled with either corrupt sponsors or litigious plaintiffs. But if you read far enough, you might just learn a few takeaways to help you or your client stay out of court (or find some arguments to get the [...]
- Blog: NextGen Financial Services ReportCrumpets, Congress, Cannabis and Crypto: Top 10 Issues for Financial Services in 2019 (Part 1 of 2)Posted on December 13, 2018 by Erin F. Fonté, Brenna E. McGee and Jesse Tyner MooreAs an eventful 2018 comes to a close, we look ahead to 2019 and our “Top 10 List” of key issues U.S. financial institutions, non-banks providing financial services, and financial technology (fintech) entities should plan for and watch throughout the upcoming year. The first five items on the list are discussed below, and the remainder...Continue Reading…
- Blog: Ireland IP & Technology Law BlogDPC issues Guidance for Drivers on the use of Dash CamsPosted on December 13, 2018 by Davinia BrennanThe DPC has published guidance for drivers concerning their data protection responsibilities when using dash cams. Images and audio recordings captured by dash cams constitute ‘personal data‘ insofar as they relate to an identifiable individual and are therefore subject to the GDPR and Data Protection Act 2018. Actions to take In order to comply with the...Continue Reading…
- Blog: MMM Tech Law & Business ReportSE Tech Podcast Ep. 62 – CapWay with Sheena AllenPosted on December 6, 2018 by MMMTechLawWe speak with Sheena Allen of CapWay, a mobile-first platform that provides financial education and services, including banking the unbanked and $mart resources and recommendations, with a mission of creating financial health and an opportunity with money for those that have not been given the same access and opportunity beforehand. CapWay is headquartered in Austin, […]
- Blog: Antitrust UpdateDistrict Judge Criticizes Pace of Aetna – CVS MergerPosted on December 4, 2018 by Robert P. LoBue, Amy N. Vegari, Ph.D.After two hearings over the last week, Judge Richard J. Leon of the District Court for the District of Columbia seems to have put the brakes on the well-publicized merger between health care giants CVS and Aetna. The merger obtained conditional approval from the DOJ’s Antitrust Division on October 10, 2018, and the parties seemed [...]