This year’s WSG IBA Networking Luncheon is experiencing record registration with 120 members expected to attend and a 12% increase over last year’s participation. With international professionals coming together from across the WSG network, it’s a good time to ensure that your membership is optimized to make the most out of your attendance. From networking functions and luncheons to regional meetings, here are a few tips to make the most of your time – and membership:
1. Do your research
One of the best ways to prepare yourself for a networking event is to study the people who are attending. Take advantage of WSG’s event pages to see who’s attending and use key search functions to make connections with individuals by firm, region, areas of practice and industries. Also, don’t forget to make sure your own profile is up to date.
2. Join groups
By joining a WSG association, practice or industry group you’ll automatically receive invitations to events, be notified when articles and news are published and have more opportunities to build relationships with professionals across the network.
3. Utilize the WSG mobile site
When traveling, it remains important to stay in touch. Considering the responsive abilities of the WSG website across tablets and smart phones, access to professionals and expertise can be done on the go. Visit m.worldservicesgroup.com to get familiar with the WSG’s mobile capabilities.
4. Strike early and introduce yourself to someone new
The IBA Luncheon will offer a strategic networking opportunity before lunch is served. Consider reviewing the attendee list in advance to determine if there are professionals you want to connect with.
Make a point to branch out and put the depth and breadth of the membership to work for you.
5. Follow Up
Aside from utilizing email and social media, the WSG website is a great place to stay in touch with people you meet, and reinforce your network connections. With practice groups, industry groups and association groups, like the IBA, WSG provides the resources to support your valuable connections.
We look forward to welcoming over 120 international delegates to the IBA Luncheon with the goal of building relationships and increasing referrals and collaborations throughout the network.
So you have joined a WSG Practice Group. Now what? While joining a WSG group is the first step, unless you regularly engage and participate, you’ll never receive value from your membership. The same goes for any other WSG, practice or industry groups you join.
Consider these 5 tips to optimize your membership and reap the benefits today!
- Start or participate in forum discussions and messages – Beginning or participating in forum discussions are great ways to engage in conversations about a specific topic or current issue. All WSG Practice Group members can easily access forum discussions without having to travel, contribute in a meaningful manner, and follow the discussion in real time as it develops. Similarly, sending a message through the messaging tool can instantly connect you to individuals who share the same interests. Messages can be sent to the entire practice group or you can narrow your conversation and select as few group members as you wish.
- Write and post to a WSG Practice Group Blog – For the “adventurous” type that enjoys an interactive and visible dialog with other members, writing a practice group blog is a great way to highlight and promote specialized knowledge and experience in order to create thought-leadership and global recognition. These posts are automatically distributed to WSG members of the group to further engagement, and posted on the collective Practice Group blog. More importantly, a blog can be read by existing and prospective clients and partners, allowing them to develop an intimate level of trust in you.
- Upload an interesting article or piece of news and comment on it – For the less adventurous users (think more: “invisible user”) that actively consume information but are less likely to develop original content, uploading an article is a great way to draw attention and drive conversation around practice areas and interests most important to you and your firm. Include a paragraph or two about why you think the information is relevant or add a comment about “how I see it”.
- Spearhead a meeting or networking event with WSG for the group – A group can decide to meet and discuss best practice strategies, current trends or important news in a given practice industry. Means of meeting include a cocktail reception in conjunction with a larger event, an annual hosted practice group meeting, or even a small breakfast on the day of a happening. Meeting members face-to-face is a great way to create momentum within a group and forge strong network relationships and referral opportunities.
- Contact WSG! Not that we’re your mother, but we want to hear from you on a regular basis, even if it’s a quick note letting us know what is going on. We welcome details about collaborations forged together through the network’s practice group participation to further demonstrate how professionals are making a difference in today’s business world by being part of a smart and premier network.
We look forward to working with you to further the valuable resources WSG has to offer, enhancing your network of professionals in your practice industries today! If you have any questions or suggestions, please contact the Practice Group Administrator, Gaby Saldaña at [email protected].