Clients are relying more and more on the content they find across the Internet and social media to vet and select who they work with. Over 69% of in-house counsel listed attorney-authored blogs as somewhat or very important in selecting outside firms for hire, and a majority of in-house counsel reported following lawyer-authored blogs as closely as those written by professional journalists. (Greentarget 2014 State of Digital & Content Marketing Survey)
The Big Picture: How we communicate and make decisions in the business world is changing rapidly – and the Internet and social media play a growing part in both. By harnessing the power of content, you can engage clients in conversations and topics that are most important to you, demonstrate your expertise, build trust in your brand, and grow traffic to your firm’s website. But, with the vast amount of content being produced every day, how can firms break through the clutter? WSG’s Join the Conversation webinar, Content is King, discusses the key steps and tips to best leverage the Internet and WSG to improve your firm’s online visibility and ultimately help meet your business goals.
Consider the following:
Have a plan. In order to produce a consistent stream of high quality, relevant content, you’ve got to have a plan. Start by creating an integrated strategy that aligns with your overall business goals. Next, determine what information and news are the most important to your existing and potential clients. Your plan should include an editorial calendar with specific tactics, suggested topics and headlines, content deadlines and allocated responsibilities. While it’s a major undertaking, you’ll be thankful for your hard work in the end.
Create meaningful content. Your clients are searching for information, answers and validation, and they trust sources that consistently provide all three. Be relevant and engaging – demonstrate your expertise and how you solve client problems. Include a mix of content types including original (by firm experts), curated (3rd party content with commentary from a firm professional) and syndicated (3rd party content republished on your site).
Distribute and promote across distribution channels. You took the time to create great content – now make sure it is received, read and shared. Repurpose and optimize content across multiple firm, WSG and other available channels and tools (yes, plural) – and make sure content is easy to share. Give people the best chance to see your content.
Measure & refine. In order for content marketing to be successful, you must have analytics to regularly track user behavior and be committed to refining your approach as necessary. Content effectiveness can be measured through web analytics, social media activity, downloads, comments and more.
Are you harnessing the power of your content? For a more in-depth look at how to leverage content marketing for your firm, view a replay of WSG’s recent webinar “Content is King”.
Content is King is the third webinar in WSG’s Join the Conversation Webinars series. Presenters include guest speaker and WSG Alliance Partner, Joe Beccalori, Co-Founder and President of Interact Marketing, as well as WSG’s own Maricarmen Trujillo, VP, Jess Ferdinand, Marketing Director, and Kendall Repka, Senior Marketing Coordinator. The Join the Conversation webinars are a critical part of bringing additional expertise, resources and value to the network and ensuring that we are doing everything we can to make sure your content – and your firm – get noticed. If you would like to discuss how to best leverage WSG’s web-based marketing initiatives and opportunities for your firm, please email [email protected] to schedule a time.
WSG is proud to announce the addition of 2 new practice groups in the European region: Intellectual Property and Insurance/Re-Insurance. Both groups offer a new platform for WSG members to connect and leverage their skills and expertise throughout the region and on a global scale.
Mr. Gary Assim of Shoosmiths will be leading the IP practice group. With over 20 years of experience, Mr. Assim has built up a strong reputation on both a national and international basis. He specialises in resolving disputes dealing with anti-counterfeiting and parallel importing.
Mr. Mark Helyar of Bedell Cristin will be leading the Insurance/Re-Insurance practice group. Mr. Helyar specializes in the use of protected cell companies (PCCs) for investment funds and insurance purposes and assisted in drafting the 2006 Guernsey law relating to incorporated cell companies. He has substantial expertise in corporate, commercial and investment fund practices as well.
These new groups are sure to garner much interest from the network as they both impact business leaders and clients alike. To see the full list of WSG practice groups for all members, please click here.
And let us know what you think! If you have any ideas for a new WSG Practice Group or blog, feel free to comment below of contact WSG's Practice Group Administrator Mrs. Gaby Saldaña at [email protected].
So you have joined a WSG Practice Group. Now what? While joining a WSG group is the first step, unless you regularly engage and participate, you’ll never receive value from your membership. The same goes for any other WSG, practice or industry groups you join.
Consider these 5 tips to optimize your membership and reap the benefits today!
- Start or participate in forum discussions and messages – Beginning or participating in forum discussions are great ways to engage in conversations about a specific topic or current issue. All WSG Practice Group members can easily access forum discussions without having to travel, contribute in a meaningful manner, and follow the discussion in real time as it develops. Similarly, sending a message through the messaging tool can instantly connect you to individuals who share the same interests. Messages can be sent to the entire practice group or you can narrow your conversation and select as few group members as you wish.
- Write and post to a WSG Practice Group Blog – For the “adventurous” type that enjoys an interactive and visible dialog with other members, writing a practice group blog is a great way to highlight and promote specialized knowledge and experience in order to create thought-leadership and global recognition. These posts are automatically distributed to WSG members of the group to further engagement, and posted on the collective Practice Group blog. More importantly, a blog can be read by existing and prospective clients and partners, allowing them to develop an intimate level of trust in you.
- Upload an interesting article or piece of news and comment on it – For the less adventurous users (think more: “invisible user”) that actively consume information but are less likely to develop original content, uploading an article is a great way to draw attention and drive conversation around practice areas and interests most important to you and your firm. Include a paragraph or two about why you think the information is relevant or add a comment about “how I see it”.
- Spearhead a meeting or networking event with WSG for the group – A group can decide to meet and discuss best practice strategies, current trends or important news in a given practice industry. Means of meeting include a cocktail reception in conjunction with a larger event, an annual hosted practice group meeting, or even a small breakfast on the day of a happening. Meeting members face-to-face is a great way to create momentum within a group and forge strong network relationships and referral opportunities.
- Contact WSG! Not that we’re your mother, but we want to hear from you on a regular basis, even if it’s a quick note letting us know what is going on. We welcome details about collaborations forged together through the network’s practice group participation to further demonstrate how professionals are making a difference in today’s business world by being part of a smart and premier network.
We look forward to working with you to further the valuable resources WSG has to offer, enhancing your network of professionals in your practice industries today! If you have any questions or suggestions, please contact the Practice Group Administrator, Gaby Saldaña at [email protected].
WSG works diligently to continually deliver upgraded advancements and resources to members, and as a result, WSG recently launched a new and improved ‘My WSG’ page. With this recent reveal, WSG mobilizes member professionals to “power up your WSG membership”.
Being 21,000 professionals strong, this upgraded ‘My WSG’ page expertly positions member professionals to engage, connect and collaborate with professionals across the network and the world. A benefit of the WSG network is having these unique member profiles, allowing members and clients alike to identify strong professionals in the industry. It has never been easier for you to enhance your professional identity online and build relationships with members and groups. Upon logging into the WSG website, you will find invaluable resources, various groups and relevant news on one single ‘My WSG’ page. We encourage you to take a look, refresh, and reconnect with your profile to power up your WSG membership.
How can you best power up your existing My WSG profile? This involves updating or adding your practice categories, joining a practice group to further network across your expertise, or starting a private group to enhance communications with particular professionals. Additionally with the updated ‘My WSG’ page, members are able to discover and share news and insights on topics that are the most important to you and your firm. Easily access and publish your collaborations, news, articles, blogs and upcoming events in one place.
Through WSG’s launch of the new and improved ‘My WSG’ page, it has never been easier for professionals to gain the most of their membership and maximize on WSG’s premium network.
An important cornerstone to any organization’s business success is a well thought-out marketing strategy. While the legal, accounting and investment banking professions may be steeped in distinguished tradition, the marketing world is dictated by vogue trends and cultural shifts.
The two worlds come together when firms determine the clients they want to attract and the messages they need to convey to engage those clients. The recent Ford Trend Report for 2015 focused on the new client powerhouse: Generation Z. This generation is prone to conduct independent research through social media, rather than asking peers and mentors for advice. They are more likely to take the risk and start a business and less likely to pursue an advanced degree than a Millennial (Ford Trend Report for 2015). The new Generation Z client will still need all the legal, accounting and investing advice that earlier generations needed, but they will seek it and conduct “pre-purchase” research from a completely different source.
Enter: World Services Group. WSG continues to develop new platforms to help members and their respective marketing groups to showcase businesses and leverage efforts across new media. WSG hosted the 'Join the Conversation' webinar series to help members understand the world of SEO, social media and content marketing, as well as rolled out the new Practice Group Blogs page and introduced a mobile app. All of these tools provide enhanced exposure to member organizations, create searchable content on the web, and ultimately help to increase business opportunities. Continue doing great business as usual and being part of the Network – We’ll continue with our mission to stay in tune with the current trends and enabling member firms to remain competitive in today’s global multidisciplinary services environment.
World Services Group continues to expand their tools and resources available for member firms by successfully launching their first webinar of the series titled, “Join the Conversation: Learn the Best Ways to Build Your Brand.” By launching this webinar series, WSG is well poised to leverage and optimize web-based opportunities, and in turn, bring unique benefits and value to member firms.
For the first webinar of the series titled, “Increase the Reach of Your Brand by Harnessing the Power of Social Media,” WSG welcomed digital marketing expert Joe Beccalori, Co-founder and President of Interact Marketing, to participate in the panel discussion along with WSG’s own marketing experts, Maricarmen Trujillo, Jess Ferdinand and Kendall Repka. The panel discussed with attendees the importance of leveraging social media to building a brand’s visibility, as well as specific tips and information regarding how to best utilize social media for a firm’s increased credibility and advancement.
The webinar provided useful recommendations beneficial to firms who are both beginners and advanced in their social media marketing. Expert guest speaker, Joe, discussed the critical importance that research and “knowing your audience” holds with online marketing as well as strategy, managing an editorial calendar, establishing and measuring goals, and sharing quality posts over quantity. The presentation also included a concise infographic highlighting the “do’s and don’ts” of social media. This visual provides an exceptional summary of the points discussed by Joe and WSG marketing team members, as well as a quick social media go-to for those not in attendance.
WSG is immensely pleased with the success of their first webinar and firms in attendance. The next webinar, “How to Show Up in Web Searches: Creating and Implementing an Organic Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Strategy,” is scheduled for Tuesday, December 16, 2014 from 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM Central Time. To learn more and register, please click here.
If you would like to discuss how to best leverage WSG’s web-based marketing initiatives and opportunities for your firm, please email [email protected] to schedule a time.
Click here to view a full replay of the webinar, “Increase the Reach of Your Brand by Harnessing the Power of Social Media.”
As the year’s end approaches, it is a great time to reflect on what you have accomplished and which WSG opportunities you will leverage next year. Where is our firm benefitting? Where are our professionals participating? What can we continue to do and improve upon to increment overall value?
WSG’s previous Chairman, Sergio Michelsen, laid out an ambitious plan for the organization throughout his Chairmanship including: alliance partnerships; mobile meeting app; practice group meetings; manage referrals and more. Having successfully implemented the overall objectives, it may have left members wondering what part they play in creating individual success. So, we created a quick member checklist that can be easily accomplished and evaluated. Go over this list and pat yourself on the back for the ones that are marked off. As for the ones that have an empty box next to them…
- Make sure you have downloaded the new WSG Member-to-Member Mobile Meeting App. Not only does this advancement in WSG tools allow ease of meeting materials and updates, it allows members to communicate directly through the messaging feature.
- Sign up for Practice Groups. They are a sure way of connecting with other members, creating thought leadership, developing rapport and adding value to the group. Plus they provide an excellent opportunity to focus your membership in areas that are most important to you and your firm.
- Use the Referral Tool to track referrals and collaborations inbound and outbound. Gage how being a part of WSG results in increased referrals and branding.
- Write and/or read a WSG Blog,Practice Group Blog or member Article and get insight on the latest trends and thoughts while boosting your content development and increasing your industry expertise rankings.
- The new and improved My WSG page allows you to easily enhance your professional identity online, build relationships with members and groups, and discover and share news and insights on topics that are the most important to you and your firm. All WSG members have an account. Login and begin powering up your profile and preferences today.
When you and your firm seek to differentiate yourself from competitors, know that WSG is working with you and for you and your clients. Visit the ‘Resource Center’ tab on the WSG website to decide which opportunities will make a difference for you next year, or just contact us at [email protected]
We operate in an increasingly dynamic and global business environment. Things are changing quickly and what is considered normal today only, a few years ago would have spun heads. Let’s face it, using 3D printers to create three dimensional objects, wearable electronics to monitor our health and communicate, and Facebook using lasers to beam internet access to dead zones were no more than outrageous fantasies of daydreamers even 3 years ago. The changes in every industry are happening so fast that many are still figuring out how to adopt the last launch before the next 3 have availability dates.
We understand that for the professional services world, adoption of new communication methods can prove even more difficult than in other industries. After all, this industry is meant to provide stability to clients; tweeting, commenting and posting for the world to see with no take-backs is not exactly natural. Some firms have decided that a “wait and see” approach is best. Data from the 2014 Greentarget survey says otherwise. Over 74% of in-house counsel mentioned attorney-authored articles and speeches as somewhat or very important in selecting outside firms for hire, and over 69% of in-house counsel listed attorney-authored blogs as somewhat or very important in selecting outside firms for hire. So now what?
- Start by doing your research and understanding your audience. Who you are writing for? Where are they getting their information and what problems do they need solved? What pages and content on your site are viewed most?
- Set objectives based on your firm’s/clients’ needs and desires (as opposed to everything that is possible); implement what makes the most sense and what the firm can handle (i.e., blogs, LinkedIn, Twitter).
- Provide regular, fresh content. Make sure your website and social media accounts are kept current and utilize a variety of formats, topics and experts.
- Leverage and promote content across firm and WSG channels. The number one rule today is to increase the impact of your content by leveraging it across sources that are highly viewed and regarded by your clients (not the world). Your affiliation with WSG helps to elevate your authority and relevance as a firm among the industry. Remember content in today’s world of cross referencing at your fingertips is only as good as what comes with it on the search engines.
- Set measurable short-term and long-term goals; determine and implement measurement tools; review regularly.
Know that the statistics are real, focus on what works for you and make sure you are optimizing the power and reach of the WSG network to efficiently and effectively distribute and promote your expertise and experience to the world.
The WSG 2014 Annual Meeting hosted by Deacons, being held in Hong Kong at the InterContinental Hotel is quickly approaching. We are very excited to feature our guest speaker, Mr. Tony Williams, Principal, Jomati Consultants LLP, the leading UK based international legal management consultancy. Mr. Williams will be speaking in regards to The Advance of Global Verein Firms - Threats and Opportunities. To what extent are the global verein structured firms a work in progress and what challenges do they face? Are they likely to succeed in meeting those challenges? What are the consequent threats and opportunities for independent firms?
Mr. Williams has more than thirty years’ experience in the legal profession, occupying senior management positions as well as direct client handling and fee earnings. Prior to establishing Jomati Consultants, Tony had almost 20 years’ experience at Clifford Chance as a corporate lawyer, his last role as Worldwide Managing Partner. As principal of Jomati Consultants, Tony has worked for a range of international and domestic firms in the UK, US and Continental Europe, Asia and Australia. His advice covers such matters as management succession, partner appraisal and remuneration, peer reviews, firm strategy and its implementation including business planning and the positioning of law firms in their market.
For more information visit the online program.
The 2014 WSG Asia Pacific Regional meeting was held in Shanghai, China and hosted by local firm Dacheng Law Offices. The meeting welcomed over 35 international professionals from 17 jurisdictions. The meeting consisted of panel discussions, valuable guest speaker presentations as well as several opportunities to network among the WSG Asia Pacific members. A Welcome dinner on Thursday night was held on the Huangpu River Cruise.
The special event held on Saturday was a Seminar & Tour of the China (Shanghai) Pilot Free Trade Zone. Attendees had the opportunity to learn about the economic trade initiative created by the Chinese government to promote international investment from the financial and service sector industries.
According to the feedback received during the Asia Pacific Regional Meeting, Guest Speaker Vivian Jiang’s Presentation: “The Renaissance of Professional Firms in 2020 and Beyond” and Panel Discussion: "Offshore M&A in China" were the top rated presentations.
To the left we have YT Takenaka (Takenaka Partners LLC) and WSG Chairman Sergio Michelsen network during the welcome during the welcome cocktail reception. To the right we have Saturday participants studying the model layout of the China (Shanghai) Pilot Free Trade Zone at an on-site exhibition hall.
For a full list of presentations and photos please visit the WSG 2014 Asia Pacific Regional Meeting Post Event Page.